Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Halloween!!! What's your opinion?

Halloween, or Hallowe'en, is a holiday celebrated on the night of October 31. Traditional activities include trick-or-treating, Halloween festivals, bonfires, costume parties, visiting "haunted houses" and viewing horror films. Halloween originated from the Pagan festival Samhain, celebrated among the Celts of Ireland and Great Britain. Irish and Scottish immigrants carried versions of the tradition to North America in the nineteenth century. Other western countries embraced the holiday in the late twentieth century. Halloween is now celebrated in several parts of the western world, most commonly in Ireland, the United States, Canada, and the United Kingdom. In many Latin American countries, it is known as Noche de las Brujas (Night of the Witches).

Some people say....
It's Halloween! It's Halloween! The moon is full and bright And we shall see what can't be seen On any other night. Skeletons and ghosts and ghouls, Grinning goblins fighting duels, Werewolves rising from their tombs, Witches on their magic brooms. In masks and gown we haunt the street And knock on doors for trick or treat. Tonight we are the king and queen, For oh tonight it's Halloween! -Jack Prelutsky

Common Halloween characters include ghosts, ghouls, witches, vampires, bats, owls, crows, vultures, haunted houses, pumpkinmen, black cats, aliens, spiders, goblins, zombies, mummies, skeletons, and demons. Particularly in America, symbolism is inspired by classic horror films, which contain fictional figures like Dracula, Frankenstein's monster, and The Mummy. More modern horror antagonists like Freddy Krueger, Michael Myers, Leatherface, Jason Voorhees, and the Jigsaw Killer have also become associated with the holiday. Homes are often decorated with these symbols around Halloween.

Black and orange are the traditional colors of Halloween.[20]

* This was taken from wikipedia

What about Venezuela? Slovenia? Argentina? or Abudabi? Tell us.... What do you do to celebrate?

Send a Halloween card to your friends...... go to:
This is mine...


Watch this video from the New York Time about halloween

10 comments:

Saša said...

Cute card, thanks Doris. :-) Here's a lovely BBC link with exercises on this topic at http://www.britishcouncil.org/learnenglish-central-themes-halloween.htm
and here's how I see this holiday in Slovenia at http://rostilj.blogspot.com/2007/11/candle-one.html.

Daniel Harris said...

I love halloween, In venezuela is very cool,

Orianna said...

Hi everybody..!HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!This is a holiday that is not very popular in my country VENEZUELA, but I think it´s great! The decoretion is amazing and the costum are spectacular! When I was a little girl I used to love the Halloween because I was in a English course and my teachers always made wonderfull parties and I always was a very cute witch!!!! And all the kids went door by door asking for candies and getting scare all the other kids!It´s was a lot of fun..!(I wrote this in my blog)Bye teacher..!

Anonymous said...

hello!!!!
I think that it's a holiday great. I love halloween... although it is not popular in venezuela.!

Marianni Osorio
P-111

Yubisay Roa said...

I love is "HALLOWEEN" is good. in venezuela is holiday popular.

yubisay roa secciòn D422.

carlos said...

I love halloween, this is a holiday that is not very popular in my country.

carlos atencio secciòn D422.

Grecia said...

It does not like to celebrate this holiday. But it likes to many people.
Halloween is bad....Bye bye

Anonymous said...

hallowen is a traditional celebration where you can go to costumer parties and is very funny. I enjoy it a lot.
I use to disguise me like Dracula.

Joel' h Fuenmayor said...

I love hallowen is a cool day. And all the kids went door by door asking for candies and getting scare all the other kids!It´s was a lot of fun..!. In United states is a good day. its really day of terror

Anonymous said...

...please where can I buy a unicorn?